Vose House, Circa 1898
Location: 841 Fifth Street
Two notable families are associated with this structure, the Johnson Family and the Vose Family. The Johnson Family owned the house between 1908 and 1915. Clifford "Happy" Johnson was an early postal carrier and had the first delivery wagon for mail. Happy Johnson built the barn on G Avenue, adjacent to the house, to keep his horses.
Carl Vose became owner in 1931. He lived in the house, along with his parents Hayes and Rosanna Vose, until he married in the 1940s. Hayes and Rosanna Vose remained in the house until their deaths in 1956 and 1957. The house was empty, except for Sylvester the cat, from 1957 to 1964. Carl Vose sold the house to his sister Emily Vose Wittauer and her husband John Wittauer in 1964. Carl Vose was a builder, painter and handyman. He was active in the Odd Fellows Lodge, Congregational Church and played violin in the Portland Symphony Orchestra. Emily Vose Wittauer still lives in the house with her daughter Sharon Gustafson and granddaughter Emily Louise Gustafson. The Vose Family is generally known in Lake Oswego for its contributions to the educational system. Many descendants of the Vose family reside in the Lake Oswego area.
This house is one of the best examples of the Vernacular style in the area, and is important for its contribution to the historic character of the First Addition Neighborhood. The house was moved from Third and D Avenue, to its present location in 1906. The gabled volume is clad with dropped horizontal siding, and finished with corner and rake boards, and a watertable molding. The turned porch pillars are original to the house. An elaborate gable-end decoration was removed in 1923. The interior walls are lath and plaster with original moldings, and the floors are straight grain fir.