Passport Service at City Hall

EXPANDED PASSPORT HOURS — The City has expanded its passport hours and days to make it more convenient to have a passport application processed at City Hall.  See the Hours section below.

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid United States (US) passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. Only the US Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports. US passports can be issued only to US nationals, and appropriate proof of citizenship will be required. The City of Lake Oswego is a designated official Passport Acceptance Facility.


The US Department of State is expecting an increase in passport applications through 2018.  They encourage applicants to submit their passport applications well ahead of their planned travel dates to ensure they get their passports in time.  (The peak season for passport applications begins again mid-March.)

Many countries around the world have instituted a six-month rule, which requires that travelers have at least six months of validity left in their passports at the time of arrival. Any applicant without six months of validity must get a new passport in order to meet that country’s entry requirements.  To determine a destination country’s entry requirements go to the passports section of, find the "Country Information" tab ( ), and search by country.

The US Dept. of State has authorized the City of Lake Oswego Finance Department as a Passport Acceptance Facility.

Location:  City Hall, 380 A Avenue
                  1st Floor - Finance Department

Hours:      8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.    
                  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 
                  (closed Wednesday)

Phone:      503-635-0260


Passport applications are available at City Hall or online and certified finance employees are available to accept the passport applications and forward them to the Regional Office of the United States Passport Agency. Prior to forwarding an application to the Passport Agency office, finance employees will verify the applicant's identification, ensure that the application is complete, and collect the fee for the Passport regular book and/or the Passport Card.

All first time passport applicants must apply in person with required documents, including minors and infants.


  • Minors through the age of 15 need to be accompanied by both parents or one parent along with the other parent's notarized written consent.
  • Minors from age 16 to 17 must be accompanied by at least one legal guardian.  Proof of citizenship (birth certificate or existing passport) and parental consent is required.

Go to Renewals to see if you are eligible to renew your passport directly by mail.

The following passport information is provided on this page:

Travel Requirements
Required Documents
Proof of Citizenship -  Minors
Fees for Passport Book
Passport Card
Processing Time
Online Application Status Checks
Additional Passport Information and VISAs

Travel Requirements

Most citizens of the United States must present a passport book, passport card, or other travel documents approved by the US government to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land borders and sea ports of entry.

There are a few exceptions to this requirement for special circumstances. Details can be found on the US Department of Homeland Security's website in the WHTI Land and Sea FAQs or click on the links below.

Exceptions to the travel requirements:

Please visit the US Department of State website for more travel information at (see tabs across the top of their webpage for various information).


Application forms are available at the Finance Department, on the first floor in City Hall, in the forms holder on the wall by the finance counter.  Or you may download an application at the US Department of State website   

Please do not fold applications as they will be scanned when processed. 

Required Documents

Please be sure to have the following documents when applying for a passport:

  • Two identical passport photos (2 inches by 2 inches) taken within the last six (6) months. Glasses are not acceptable in passport photos.  Passport photographs must be on special paper and require a special background, so applicants should specifically request a passport photo when acquiring them outside of the City. The City does provide passport photography services for a $15 charge for a pair of passport photos. Photography studios, copy centers, and travel agents may also provide passport photo services for a similar fee.

  • Proof of citizenship. This requirement can be satisfied by an original United States birth certificate with a raised seal, a certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the Vital Statistics Department of a State Registrar's Office from the state in which you were born, a previously issued US passport, or a certificate of naturalization. These original documents will be submitted with your application and returned to you when your passport is issued. (The Passport Application (DS-11) outlines Proof of Citizenship requirements.)

    • MINORS - a birth certificate showing the names and relationship* of both parents must be submitted for each child age 15 and younger, even when there is a previous US Passport. Birth certificates must be original and issued by the birth state’s Vital Statistics Office.

    • Not accepted: Please note that hospital birth certificates are not acceptable for proof of citizenship, neither are California abstract birth certificates and some Texas abstract birth certificates.

    • Puerto Rican birth certificates:  The US Department of State will only accept Puerto Rican birth certificates issued on or after July 1, 2010 as primary evidence of US citizenship. For more information on the Puerto Rican birth certificate law visit the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration website at (English) or (Spanish).

  • Current picture identification, such as a state driver's license or ID card.
    See Department of Homeland Security (DHS) REAL ID FAQ page for REAL ID ACT — implemented on January 22, 2018.

  • Written Consent for Minors (notarized).  When one parent cannot be present, passport form DS-3053 must be completed by that parent and then notarized. A copy of the parent’s photo ID (including signature) must also accompany the DS-3053 when submitting to the Acceptance Facility. This form serves to give the non-applying parent’s consent for the applying parent to apply and have the passport issued.

Fees for regular Passport Books

Passport Book Fees (all set by the US Department of State)

  • Ages 16 and Over ... $110 check or money order made payable to the US Dept. of State plus a separate $35 execution/processing fee to the City of Lake Oswego. (Set by the US Dept of State.)
  • Ages 0 to 15 ... $80 check or money order made payable to the US Dept. of State plus a separate $35 execution/processing fee to the City of Lake Oswego.   (Set by the US Dept of State.)

Passport Photos ... $15 per pair of passport photos made payable to the City of Lake Oswego.

Payments made to the City of Lake Oswego for the execution fees and/or photo fees; cash, checks, or credit cards are acceptable.

Payment to the U.S. Department of State for passport costs must be by check or money order.

Expedite Fee (Optional $60) - The U.S. Department of State offers an expedited processing service for an additional $60.  This is recommended if you are planning on traveling within 8 weeks of submitting your application (see processing time below). If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail and plan to expedite it, be sure to write "EXPEDITE" clearly on the outside envelope.

Passport "Cards"

Passport Card applications are processed at Passport Acceptance Agencies on the same application used for the Passport Book (except if it is a renewal you may be able to mail it in directly).  These cards are issued from the US Department of State. The passport card was designed to meet the requirements of the land and sea phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), which becomes effective June 2009. The card meets the specific needs of US border resident communities and the Finance Department is authorized to take applications for these cards.

  • US Dept of State created Passport Cards as an alternative to passport books
  • Valid for land and sea travel only between Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, and Bermuda
  • The passport card is not valid for international travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the United States passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards.

Fees for Passport Cards:

  • 16 years and older for a 10-year card $30 *
  • Under 16 years old for a 5-year card $15 *
    • (Check or Money Order made payable to the US Department of State)
  • City processing fee $35   (Payable to the City of Lake Oswego) 

Processing Time

The US Department of State's routine processing time for passport applications is typically 4 - 6 weeks.  (During the peak time of year February — August it can be 6 - 8 weeks... Apply Early). The City of Lake Oswego will mail accepted applications to the Regional Passport Agency the same day we receive them. The US Department of State commits to its customers that they will receive their passport as soon as possible from their receipt of completed applications by the Passport Accepting Facility. Visit their official website for the latest processing time.

The US Department of State will mail applicants their passports and will return birth certificates and naturalization certificates submitted with applications as well (oftentimes separately).

Expedited passports may be received within 3 weeks if they are sent by overnight delivery and payment is included to return the passport by overnight delivery service. 
(EXPEDITE must be clearly written on the outside of the mailing envelope.)


Online Application Status Checks

Applicants for a regular Untied States passport who would like to check the status of their application may do so by accessing the US Department of State's Online Application Status-Check Web Page. Currently it takes about 7-10 days for an application to be tracked online (less time if it was expedited and sent by overnight delivery).


If you currently have a passport, you renew it by mail (using the DS-82 form) if all of the following conditions apply:

  • You can submit your most recent passport and it has not been altered or damaged
  • You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport was issued
  • You were issued your most recent passport less than 15 years ago
  • You use the same name that is on your most recent passport OR after your passport was issued, your name has changed by marriage or by court order and you can submit the original appropriate documentation to reflect the name change

Otherwise you need to apply in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility, using the DS-11 form, and pay the execution/processing fee.

Please note that children under 16 years of age are required to submit both a certified birth certificate and their old passport when renewing. These passports must be renewed in person.

More information about renewing your passport by mail is available at

Additional Passport Information

If you have additional questions about passports, please contact the City of Lake Oswego Finance Department at 503-635-0260. You may also contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or visit the U.S. Department of State Passport Services at

Visa Information

A visa is an endorsement or stamp placed in your passport by a foreign government that permits you to visit that country for a specified purpose and a limited time -- for example, a 3-month tourist visa. It is advisable to obtain visas before you leave the United States because you will not be able to obtain visas for some countries once you have departed. Apply directly to the embassy or nearest consulate of each country you plan to visit, or consult a travel agent.
Passport agencies cannot help you obtain visas.

To learn more about visas... how to apply and frequently asked questions go to


Lake Oswego City Hall
380 A Avenue
Lake Oswego, OR 97034
Related Links Attachments
Other Materials: