The Budget Committee approves the Proposed budget, then the Approved budget is recommended to the City Council and they review then adopt a budget that is basically the financial plan for the City, which incorporates the Capital Improvement Plan. The budget forms the basis for budget appropriations and includes any revisions or adjustments made by the Budget Committee.
Any citizen who is interested in reviewing the budget may contact the Finance Department at City Hall. Copies of the budget are also available for review at the public Library. The actual budget document contains extensive line details and is about an inch thick.
These are some significant steps in a budget process:
- April 28, 2016 – The City Manager presents the Proposed Budget to the Budget Committee. This provides a starting point for discussions. Budget Committee meeting is for public review and consideration of the document.
The Budget Committee is made up of the seven City Council members and seven non-elected citizens.
- In April and May, the Budget Committee deliberates on the Proposed Budget.
- May 5, 2016 - The Budget Committee approved the Proposed Budget with amendments after review and receiving public comment. The amendments are listed behind the cover of the online Proposed Budget. The Approved Budget is then recommended to the City Council.
- June 7, 2016 – The Adopted Budget. The City Council reviews and considers the Approved Budget, deliberates and, where they determine appropriate, makes further adjustments which are embodied into the Adopted Budget.
- July 1 – Implementation of the FY 2016-17 Budget - adopted by the City Council. The services and projects within the Adopted Budget are implemented.
In addition, the Budget Committee met on March 17, 2016 for a pre-meeting (prior to distribution of the budget document at the April meeting) to go over ground rules and other information.
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
CITY OF LAKE OSWEGO FOR FISCAL YEAR 2016-17
A public meeting of the City Council of the City of Lake Oswego, will be held on June 7, 2016, at 6:30 p.m. at 380 A Avenue, Lake Oswego, OR 97034. The purpose of this meeting includes the City’s election to receive state revenues in fiscal year 2016-17.
A copy of the budget document may be inspected or obtained at the office of the Finance Director, located at Lake Oswego City Hall, between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 p.m.
The City received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for many years for its budget documents. Links to our more recent budget documents are shown below.
For the Lake Oswego Redevelopment Agency (LORA) budget documents click here.