The Friends started as a support group in 1953 to help furnish a reading room for the library. Fund-raising was initially accomplished with yearly book sales. These became too popular and unwieldy to handle. In 1991, the Friends opened the Booktique, a used bookstore. Books are donated to the store and it is staffed by volunteers.
Funds are raised primarily through sales at the Booktique, along with dues and donations. Cash grants are awarded to the library twice a year.