August 15, 2014
- On Saturday, August 16th, Area VI, the roadway between Boones Ferry Road and McNary Parkway (SOUTH intersection) will close to traffic for 5 weeks. Only those who need to access The Grotto, Adams Court, Mountain Circle, and St. Helens Circle will be permitted to travel into the work zone. Once this area is closed it will also be closed to pedestrians and cyclists.
- The closure at Boones Ferry Road means that all traffic traveling westbound will be required to turn either left (towards Lake Grove) or right (towards Portland). To access the detour through Mountain Park, you must turn right onto Boones Ferry Road then you will turn left onto Monroe Parkway (at the signal light).
- Tri Met has been notified of the next closure on Kerr Parkway and have worked to reroute the buses. For more bus information go to trimet.org
- By the end of work day today, Area I, the roadway between Stephenson Street and Hidalgo (road in front of PCC) will be completely paved. The next step for this section is to replace the traffic signal detection loops and to permanently stripe the traffic lanes.
- Also by the end of the work day today, Area II, the roadway between Hidalgo and McNary Parkway (north intersection) will be reopened to traffic. Please note that the roadway will get another layer of asphalt at the end of the project so there will be some bumps in the road.
- There is some confusion about the McNary Parkway intersection. There are actually two (2) McNary intersections on Kerr Parkway. You may have noticed that when referenced, McNary Parkway has been identified by north intersection or south intersection. To help clarify what is meant by north and south intersection please refer to the McNary Intersections Map (click here)
- In the next couple of weeks, lane closures will occur on for work that will be done on the islands at the Kerr Parkway/Boones Ferry Road/Country Club Road intersection.
What is going to happen next?
In the next 5 weeks, the contractor will be excavating and building three (3) retaining walls, moving and reinstalling a waterline, installing new stormwater facilities, building new concrete sidewalks, and repairing the roadway. The utility companies (PGE and NW Natural) will also be on site completing work to their facilities. There is a lot of work to be done and a lot of heavy machinery will be used. PLEASE heed the road and sidewalk closed signs for your safety and the safety of the crews on the job site.
August 13, 2014
Over the past weekend, some residents in the John's Woods/Mountain Park area received a letter at their door alerting them to the fact that there will be a water shutdown on Thursday, August 14th. The shutdown will begin at approximately 9:00 am and is intended to last until 4:00 pm.
If you did NOT receive this letter, your water will NOT be turned off.
To view the water shutoff letter (click here)
To view the water shutoff area map (click here)
August 8, 2014
GET READY FOR THE NEXT CLOSURE: PLAN AHEAD TO FIND YOUR ALTERNATE ROUTE
- Kerr Parkway from McNary Parkway (south intersection) to Boones Ferry Road will be the next section to completely close. The tentative plan is to close this section on August 16, 2014. This section will be closed for at least four (4) weeks.
- Residents living on Adams Court, Mountain Circle, St. Helens Circle and The Grotto will continue to have access to their homes during the closure but will only be allowed to turn left out of The Grotto onto Kerr Parkway.
- The current closure, from McNary Parkway (north intersection) to Hidalgo will remain closed through August 15, 2014. The tentative plan is to open this section back up the evening of August 15th.
August 1, 2014
THINGS ARE ABOUT TO MOVE!
- The section of Kerr Parkway from Jefferson Parkway to McNary Parkway (north intersection) is about to open up to traffic.
- On Monday, August 4, 2014, the contractor will close the section of Kerr Parkway from Hidalgo to McNary Parkway (north intersection) to all traffic. Detours will be set up.
- Next week, lane closures will also occur in the area of Kerr Parkway from Hidalgo to Stephenson St. These lane closures will allow our contractors the ability to work on a storm system that is located in the right and southbound lanes. Traffic heading into Lake Oswego will be directed into one lane before the signal at Hidalgo.
Once all of the other work is complete, the contractor will pave the entire roadway at the end of the project. Thus, things may look a little funny until this work is complete.
July 18, 2014
- Kerr Parkway will remain closed between Jefferson Parkway and McNary Parkway (North Intersection) through August 2, 2014.
- On August 4, 2014 the contractor plans to close Kerr Parkway from McNary Parkway (North Intersection) to Hidalgo.
- Northwest Natural and their contracted crews will be working on Kerr Parkway. Traffic control will be maintained using flaggers.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is the section of Kerr Parkway from McNary Parkway (north intersection) to Jefferson Parkway still closed?
When work began in this area, a couple of issues popped up:
- Northwest Natural came in to install a gas line that they had planned to install at some point in the future to connect to current services. Since we were going to improve the roadway, they felt like now is the time to do that work and the City agreed so they wouldn’t cut through the new roadway in the future to install the pipe. This work extended the closure length because the gas company had to be finished before the other work could really begin.
- When work began on the new retaining wall, it was discovered that the water main would be in the way of excavation. The City’s water crew, engineers, and contractor worked together to quickly engineer a solution which included installing a new upsized water which will improve water delivery to this area.
- Can a temporary crosswalk be installed at Hidalgo so people can cross McNary Parkway?
The Engineering Department has decided that a temporary crosswalk cannot be installed at the Hidalgo and McNary Parkway intersection because there is not enough sight distance for pedestrians to cross safely at this point.Instead we encourage all pedestrians to walk to the Kerr Parkway and McNary Parkway intersection where there is a signal light, pedestrian crossing signals, and a marked crosswalk.
- Vehicles using the detour on McNary Parkway appear to be speeding making it unsafe for all.
McNary Parkway is signed as a 30 MPH roadway.This speed is faster than the typical 25 MPH you will find on local/residential roadways.The Police Department is aware that people may be speeding through this area.
- Why is traffic being detoured through the neighborhood?
Because of the nature of the work, the Contractor needs access to the entire roadway versus just one lane at a time.Thus, it is safer for both the traveling public and the construction workers to close the entire road.Unfortunately that means diverting vehicles off Kerr Parkway and onto the neighboring streets.
July 11, 2014
- Kerr Parkway will remain closed between Jefferson Parkway and McNary Parkway (North Intersection), at least through next week. This section has taken longer than anticipated due to some required design changes.
- This week the contractor did work on a water main that will be relocated and began building the retaining wall.
- Next week the contractor is scheduled to install new curbs, sidewalk ramps, and the new waterline.
July 2, 2014
Kerr Parkway is a construction zone.
Please refrain from walking, biking, and driving on the closed sections even when active construction is not occurring. This area is not safe.
- Kerr Parkway will remain closed between Jefferson Parkway and McNary Parkway (North Intersection) for at least the next week due to unforeseen issues on the project.
- Unexpected work on a water main will begin next week. On Tuesday, July 8th between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM water will be shut off to the residents of the Mountain Side Terrace Condos. All those residents have been notified via a door hanger.
- Northwest Natural will continue their relocation efforts in the area between Boones Ferry Road and McNary Pkwy (South Intersection). Unfortunately their work has had its own challenges and is taking longer than expected. Flaggers will be controlling traffic in this area. One lane of traffic will be maintained between the hours of 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM .
- The contractor has now indicated that they plan to work in “Area II” once work on the currently closed section is complete. Area II is Kerr Parkway from Hidalgo to McNary Parkway (North Intersection). This closure will not occur until the currently closed section is reopened. Detour signage will be in place when this closure occurs.
- When approaching the steel plates in the road, slow your vehicle down and drive directly over them.
June 24, 2014
- Kerr Parkway was closed today between McNary Parkway (North intersection) to Jefferson Parkway. Detours are in place. This closure will be in place for approximately 2 weeks.
- Tri-met busses have been rerouted through the detour and a few temporary stops have been installed. See service alerts at trimet.org for more information.
- Northwest Natural continues to do work on their facilities within Kerr Parkway between Boones Ferry Road and McNary Parkway. Flaggers will be controlling traffic in this area. One lane of traffic will be maintained between the hours of 9 AM and 6 PM.
- Kerr Parkway will be a construction zone for the next couple of months (into October). When traveling in the area please use caution and heed all traffic controls.
June 16, 2014
- Starting on June 16, 2014, the utility companies will be out on Kerr Parkway working on relocating their facilities. During this work, traffic control using flaggers will be set up so traffic will be able to move through the area.
- On June 23, 2014, Kerr Contactors will begin the area closures of Kerr Parkway beginning with “Area III” between McNary Parkway (north intersection) and Jefferson Parkway. Detours route signage will be set up to move traffic around the section closures. This section will be closed for approximately 2 weeks.
- Once the work in the Area III is complete, Kerr Contractors will open it up and then close Area VI between McNary Parkway (south intersection) and Boones Ferry Road. This closure is expected to last 4 weeks.
- The “Areas” referred to above are shown on the Kerr Detour Map which can be found on this website under “Other Materials”.
- These closures will significantly impact traffic so please plan ahead by finding an alternate route and allowing extra time.